Cover boards, as a higher compressive strength substrate directly beneath single-ply membrane, have the unique ability to enhance the overall performance of low slope single-ply roof systems. They do this by enhancing wind uplift, hail resistance, foot traffic, thermal performance and puncture resistance. Cover boards often can be used to increase duration of warranties and/or higher peak gust wind speeds.
Many cover board options exist, including;
- InsulBase HD and SecurShield High-Density (HD & HD Plus) Polyiso
- Gypsum (DensDeck & Securock)
- Composite – SecurShield HD ISO & EPS and StormBase (OSB)
- Ecostorm VSH – Recycled
- SecurShield HD RL PolyISO (used with RapidLock membranes only)
Cover board selection considerations:
- Fastening requirements – many products offer reduced fastening patterns while keeping the higher uplift.
- Moisture resistance – options range in their ability to perform in the presence of moisture.
- Handling and cutting – product weight and ease of cutting can decrease installation time.
- Insulating value – some options provide insulating value, adding additional R-value to the roof system.
With the Midwest’s multitude of weather conditions, including a rare derecho in August 2020, a cover board can help support the roof system while providing added security of the building. Additional information on cover board types can be found at the link below or the Luna and Associates team can help with your specific building needs.